Have your own cooking class!
Make some Christmas tree decorations!
One of the BEST times of year (other than Pageant Day, of course) for much of our Pageant community is school holidays!
What kid doesn't love a long break from school, spending time at home and with family and friends?
However, sometimes the boredom can strike and you might be stuck for things to do. We understand!
We've put together a handy list to keep on hand of activities you can give the kids to do - or do with them! - over the School Holidays.
- Write, and send, your letters to Father Christmas! If you haven't already, there's still time to send in some last minute requests to Father Christmas. He works pretty quickly!
- Make Christmas Cards. The only thing better than a Christmas card is a hand-made Christmas card! All you need is some card, pens and maybe fun things like glitter and pom-poms to make personalized Christmas cards. You could even go somewhere that does printing and print a photo of your family or your pet on them.
- Bake Christmas Treats. Gingerbread biscuits, Christmas shortbreads and Christmas cake… There are so many special treats that you can make especially to celebrate Christmas. It's a great activity for kids to do and learn!
- Make some Christmas decorations. You can use basic craft items to make some special ornaments for your tree or around your home. You could make a paper chain, string popcorn onto string, or cut out shapes in card.
- Watch a Christmas movie! School Holidays is a great time for movie nights and afternoons. Check out our list of our Top 10 Christmas movies for the family to enjoy.
- Visit Father Christmas! You can still see Father Christmas at the Magic Cave in David Jones up until Christmas Eve. Make sure to head in and say hello, and of course, tell him what you want for Christmas!
- Get active! Head out with the kids for a walk, a bike ride or a kick of a ball at the park. Enjoy the beautiful warm weather and do something fun and active together (it will wear the kids out too!)
- See South Australia! There's so much to do in our beautiful state, and even closer to the city. You can have a day at the beach (near the city at Glenelg, or further down the coast at Port Willunga), explore the South Australian Museum or the Art Gallery, have a picnic in the Botanic Gardens, explore the Adelaide Hills… The list goes on! Head to SouthAustralia.com to get plenty of ideas of where to go around SA.
- Get around the Santos Tour Down Under. Australia's greatest cycling race kicks off on the 10th of January, and there are plenty of fantastic opportunities to get involved. The Mini Tour for Kids is on Sunday the 13th of January at Rymill Park, where kids between 6 and 12 can feel like a pro and ride on a special mini tour track. Then, the family can stay around for the Down Under Classic that afternoon for a great family day out.
There's also the the Family Ride, where the whole family can get involved.
Plus, you and the family can get out to any of the stages to enjoy a great day out. There are street parties happening around Adelaide to celebrate the Tour Down Under as well, for something in your neighbourhood. There are more details on the Santos Tour Down Under website of all the different activities to participate in during the TDU.
- Go for a dip. Your local pool, or the beach, is a great place to spend a hot Summer day. Make sure to slip slop slap, be safe, and maybe enjoy an ice cream!
- Hold a cooking class. There are some great basic recipes you can help your kids learn, that with some supervision they could learn to cook on their own! Dishes like Scrambled eggs, Pancakes, sandwiches, smoothies and funny face biscuits are simple and easy recipes that kids can learn to cook on their own. And yummy too
You could also spend some time making your own thoughtful Christmas decorations for people. Click here for some ideas!